Search This Blog

Sunday 23 January 2011

A Life in the Day: Fiona Gladstone

The 18-year-old has just completed her A-levels and is now enjoying a relaxing summer.

There is never a rush to get up, that’s the joy and reward of finishing A levels. Around half ten, sometimes later, I begin to show some signs of movement as I reach for my phone to see if I have any new texts. Once I have done that I do is put the radio on and grab my laptop to see what is happening in the world that day. Although firstly I check my Facebook, generally I’m on for about an hour or so and I forget to do everything else I mean to do. I listen to the radio every morning. When I was at school I’d wake up to hear Chris Moyles but now as a lazy teenager it’s Fearne Cotton that introduces me to the day.

I try and plan a list of jobs for myself, such as cleaning my room, ironing my clothes, writing emails etc. But, being human, I get easily distracted and consequently they never get completed.

I generally have lunch about one o’clock. While cooking and eating I can be watching either ‘60 Minute Makeover’ or ‘Come Dine with Me’. Lunch is normally pasta. Despite this I still hunt around the kitchen for a good ten minutes. Most days moaning to myself about the lack of quick and simple meals available in our household. You’d think having pasta nearly everyday for about two months would mean I’d be pretty good at the measurements, but one day I will have a feast and the next day I’ll still be hungry. I guess its just something I will never be able to judge.

If it is Tuesday or a Wednesday I then make my way to my next door neighbour’s house whose dogs I look after. As soon as I open the front door I can hear the dogs jumping up at the kitchen door as their routine. When I let the dogs into the garden, Jesse, the Beagle, heads off to explore and check there is no change to how she left the garden that morning and Rosie, the Jack Russell, will beg to play ball. Yet after about three minutes Rosie tends to get bored and will decide to sit inside instead. I normally take Rosie’s lead and head inside myself to watch some mind-numbing daytime TV.

It is about four o’clock when the texts start coming in about ideas for what my friends and I can get up to that evening. Suggestions are normally brushed aside as the majority of us have a lack of money, so since we are all 18 we tend to head to the pub.

Mum gets home about half five most days and comes to see how my day has been. Mum and me get on really well. I think it’s all part of growing up, you either become closer to your parents or more distant, thankfully I’ve grown closer. We’ll have a natter and a cup of tea and then around half six I will start getting myself ready for whatever joys are planned for the evening.

About once a week my friends and I go on a night out clubbing. Central London is fortunately very accessible for us living in Barnet and so we like to make the most of it whenever possible. Pre-drinking generally takes place at The Bell, our local pub - conveniently a very short walk from my house. Once we make it into London we have a dance, get some drinks down us, take too many pictures and run out of money.

On the nights I don’t go out I like to relax. This tends to involve watching a film or catching up on programmes I’ve missed on Iplayer. I always tell myself to have an early night when I stay in, but I never do and so my bedtime routine starts about half 11. It’s barley a routine, just taking off my make-up, brushing my teeth etc. I lay in bed for a while thinking about what I have planned for the next day, before I fall fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment