Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Merry Memories By Fiona Gladstone


An 84-year-old man today revealed Christmas memories of when he was young. Grandfather-of-five, Bernard Bryan said that he could recall Father Christmas visiting his primary school in Tooting some 80 years back. The incident happened close to Bournemouth beach while relaxing on a short holiday with his wife, Gail Bryan, 79.

“We were all in a big hall, which had a balcony surrounding the walls. As we watched in amazement Father Christmas appeared on the balcony and made his way down on a wooden ladder to where we were standing.” When asked how he had felt at that moment Bernard replied “I was very young, I must have only been about five years old, so you could imagine I was terribly excited.”

The news of Father Christmas’s appearance had apparently been announced around the school previously, which had caused Bernard sleepless nights. “As a young boy I still believed Father Christmas was real and that if I had misbehaved he wasn’t going to visit the school. I acted my best for days!”

Looking back Bernard agreed his parents and teachers may have played on the young children’s naivety. “We all used to be rather cheeky so it must have been very enjoyable for them, especially for my mother!”
Bernard was unable to remember what he was given by Father Christmas. “The memory has stuck with me for a long time, but not every detail!”

No comments:

Post a Comment